Earlier this week, in a Nevada speech, Obama amused the blogosphere with this impromptu declaration, “Unlike some, I actually try to state facts.”
Not one to cut his losses, Obama plowed on into the absurd: “I don’t believe in just making stuff up. I think you should actually say to people what’s true.”
For those of short memory, here are some Obama quotes that even his most faithful acolytes would be hard pressed to call true:
- “If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.” The truth: Obama broke his pledge as soon as he realized he could out-raise McCain.
- “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So [my parents] got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.” The truth: Obama was born three years before Selma.
- “I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that.” The truth: Guantanamo is still open.
- “This administration has done more for the security of the state of Israel than any previous administration.” The truth: ask Netanyahu.
- “For my mother … to spend the last months of her life in the hospital room arguing with insurance companies … there’s something fundamentally wrong about that.” The truth: mom had excellent coverage, and there is a special circle in hell for those who lie about their dying mother.
- “I’ve written two books. I actually wrote them myself.” The truth: ask Bill Ayers (“Dreams”) and Jon Favreau (“Audacity”).
- “The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago.” Truth: Obama is talking here about long time pastor, Jeremiah “God damn America” Wright, here being thrown under a very crowded bus.
- “My father left my family when I was two years old.” Truth: the “two years” created the illusion of a blessed multicultural union, but the mom hightailed it to Seattle within weeks of the birth without pop.
- “My parents shared not only an improbable love. They shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation.” Truth: about the only thing they shared was the Baby Daddy’s sperm – if that.
- “Under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.” Truth: ask Hobby Lobby.
- “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman.” Truth: the polls proved a more authoritative source than God on this one.
- “We’ve got shovel-ready projects all across the country.” Truth: most of that shoveling was going on in the Oval Office.
- “I didn’t set a red line.” Truth: this double talk about Syria had the Nobel people looking up the number of the local repo man.
- “Not even a smidgen of corruption.” Truth: Obama was talking here – don’t laugh! – about the IRS scandal.
- “The Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration.” Truth: Obama told this whopper after his press secretary got his knuckles rapped for telling the same lie.
- “Here’s what happened. You had a video that was released by somebody who lives here, sort of a shadowy character.” Truth: to sell the lie about the Benghazi affair, Obama had the video producer, an American citizen, put in prison.
- “We revealed to the American people exactly what we understood at the time.” Truth: lying about the original Benghazi lie only compounded the shame.
- “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away.” Truth: ho, ho, ho, ho!
- “Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.” Truth: this double-barreled promise was violated more wantonly than a goat at a Taliban bachelor party.
- “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Truth: Obama had his hand on the Bible for this one. May God have mercy on his soul.