A top beer-making company has deliberately omitted God from its new ad citing the Declaration of Independence – and now outraged Americans are vowing to boycott the beer brand on the company's Facebook page.
In Samuel Adams' July 4 commercial, a bartender asks, "Why name a beer after Samuel Adams?"
He adds, "Because Samuel Adams signed the Declaration of Independence. He believed there was a better way to live."
Then the man recites the Declaration of Independence – but he omits "endowed by their Creator" from the segment.
"All men are created equal," he states. "They are endowed with certain unalienable rights: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
He finishes the beer spot with, "Smooth, flavorful. We bow to no kings. Samuel Adams Boston Lager, declare your independence."
But when Samuel Adams was asked why it omitted the Creator from its ad, the beer maker defended its decision and said it is prohibited from mentioning God in its advertising.
"The Beer Institute Advertising Code says, 'Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes.' We agree with that and try to adhere to these guidelines," Samuel Adams said in a statement to "Fox & Friends."
"While we do understand your objection to the omission of the phrase 'by our creator' in other circumstances (after all, they occur in the Declaration of Independence which Samuel Adams signed and helped author) we believe it would be outside our industry guidelines to invoke those religious words in a beer commercial."
The brewer's removal of the Creator from the text of the founding document is reminiscent of President Obama's 2011 speech omitting God from the Declaration of Independence:
Adams – a brewer and organizer of the Boston Tea Party – unabashedly cited biblical arguments in support of American independence.
In 1776, while the Declaration of Independence was being signed, Adams declared: "We have this day restored the Sovereign to Whom all men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven and from the rising to the setting of the sun, let His kingdom come."
In September 1777, Adams told Congress, "numerous have been the manifestations of God's providence in sustaining us. In the gloomy period of adversity, we have had 'our cloud by day and pillar of fire by night.'"
The new beer ad has sparked a wave of online comments, including some of the following:
- I bought my last Sam Adams beer yesterday
- Boycott these commies and their cr-p
- Sam Adams says they were just following regulations? The National SOCIALISTS said they were just following orders.
- The younger generation prefers godless beer.
- Sam Adams WAS a brewer himself. He was also a believer in God. YEEEESH liberal stupidity is limitless.
- WOW. Sam Adams himself would be disgusted by this.
- If you're going to cheapen the Declaration of Independence (on Independence Day of all days) by quoting it to promote your beer sells, at least quote it correctly.
- Since you purposely left the mention of GOD out of your commercial. I am leaving your products off my purchase list!
- You missed part of the Declaration of Independence. A little help for you. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights …"
- I now declare my independence from Samuel Adams. You removed the Creator from the Declaration, I remove you from my shopping list.
- Rights are endowed by Our creator. Just saying beer code ethics having more authority than founding documents. You got it right on Happy Independence Day!
- So sorry you let advertising policy dictate to you instead of the Declaration of Independence. Will never buy Samuel Adams again. VERY BAD decision
- You need to fire your marketing director on this major screw up, what an idiot!! To omit the "Creator" then have a lame excuse for doing so. This is going to cost you dearly.
- Lost another lifelong customer with your ignorant July 4th ad. Blue Moon for me!
- You bunch of chicken cr-p losers! You cowards! I will NEVER buy Sam Adams again. Gutless gutter slim! How dare you pervert the Declaration of Independence on Independence Day? … Move to Mexico or Iran, you pukes!
- An American company using the name of a founder and great Patriot should be ashamed.
- Samuel Adams was a devout Christian, a Puritan in fact. You should bow you head in shame.
- I won't buy your product anymore because you lacked the courage of the man you named your product after. What a shame!